Friday, December 3, 2010

Painting and Printmaking

For this lesson we began by reaching into a bag and without look at the object(s) inside had to try and figure out what it was by the different texture. Once everyone was finished identifying the objects, we discussed what we thought was in each bag as a class. Then we talked about different artists who use texture within their artwork. We then went through what texture means and how it can add affect to a picture. There are two different kinds of texture, actual, which is actually having texture you can feel and is raised up off their piece of work, and implied which is a piece of artwork that looks as if there texture to it but it is on a flat surface. We also went through the primary colors, secondary colors, and intermediate colors. We then got the supplies needed to complete the project--the three primary colors, different tools to add texture, water, construction paper, and newspaper. We first practiced using the different materials on a piece of paper to help us get a feel of how they will look. We then began our project. We could pick one of four ways to create our project. I chose to do a background texture with my name on it. The textures I used were sponges, carpet and a paintbrush. I first started with my background. The first color I did was the blue with a sponge. Then I added red with a different kind of sponge, then added the yellow using a piece of carpet. I then added my name using some type of sponge stamp. My first name was my intermediate color which i needed to incorporate and my middle name was orange, the secondary color that also needed to be incorporated into the picture in some way.
An extension activity that could be done with this lesson would be a history lesson on the different artists that were talked about. Students would also write a bibliography on the artist of their choice that used either actual or implied texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment